How We Help
Many women who are diagnosed with breast cancer have extra financial burdens placed on them during treatment and recovery. Common issues are insurance payments, food, transportation, childcare, and other essentials of daily life. Shades of Pink Foundation offers temporary financial assistance during their time in need.
As a local Michigan charity, we help women who reside, and are undergoing treatment in Southeast Michigan, which includes Genesee, Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, Saint Clair, Washtenaw, and Wayne counties.
To qualify for assistance, you must:
- reside in Southeast Michigan
- be within 12 months of your initial breast cancer diagnosis
- submit an application through your health care provider (social worker, patient advocate, oncologist, nurse, etc.)
Shades of Pink Foundation may provide assistance for:
- Mortgage/Rent; property taxes are eligible if they are current (not delinquent). Home repair may be considered with an estimate provided by a qualified contractor.
- Utilities (gas, electric, water, phone, internet). Cable TV is only eligible if it is already bundled with phone/internet. Netflix, Hulu, gaming subscriptions, etc. are not eligible.
- Car payments, car repair, auto insurance premiums.
- Health nsurance premiums, including COBRA. Insurance deductibles, copays, prescription drug costs, prosthesis, and medical bills are not eligible.
- Child care costs
How are applications reviewed?
Applications for assistance are sent by healthcare providers, social workers, and therapists to the Client Services Coordinator who verifies eligibility and removes all identifying information from the application. The application is then submitted to the Client Services Committee. The Committee reviews the application and votes on approval. Once a determination has been made, your social worker will be notified and your creditors will be paid directly. Shades of Pink Foundation does not provide financial reimbursement for bills already paid by the applicant, nor do we pay the applicant directly, therefore it is imperative that all applications are submitted with recent bill statements or invoices. Personal information provided to Shades of Pink Foundation, including HIPPA protected medical information, is kept in strict confidence.
Shades of Pink Foundation (SOPF) clients must be referred from an appropriate healthcare provider. If you are interested in our program, you should contact the social worker or medical professional where you are receiving care to assist you with filling out an application. If they have not worked with SOPF before, have them email Client Services at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can provide more information about our application process.
All referrals must come through a health care professional. If you call SOPF directly, you will be referred to a social worker where you are receiving care.
If you are a social worker and would like to recommend a patient for help….contact our client committee at email@example.com. To download the latest version of the Application for Financial Assistance, please click here. You must obtain a password from Client Services to access the application.